Thursday, August 12, 2010

Oh, Johnny.

My one time writing teacher, mentor, and fellow-midwesterner Jonathan Franzen is on the cover of effing Time Magazine.

TIME MAGAZINE.

Long ago he was in there for a little "writers to watch" thing so they have been onto him for years. Now he is the most famous Great American Novelist ever and he seems so far far far away from me when I once thought we were the same people in different bodies.

Well. Maybe he'll blurb BELL JAR SUMMER for me... The teens are way into the Franz.

3 comments:

Fin Keegan said...

Good for JF. Seem to remember reading somewhere that his parents were impressed by TIME and now here is on the cover. I see he got a haircut since the last workshop...

momoblogue said...

So, did you or are you reading Freedom? I am. I have things to say, none of them so very coherent. Last night I pondered, "I wonder if Jonathan Franzen could imagine a reader using a re-usable breast pad as a bookmark for his novel." I decided that he could not.

Arlaina Tibensky said...

I'm not reading it, not because I don't want to, just because I HAVE NO TIME... Don't tell anyone, but I didn't read The Corrections either... Love him, hate the hype. He is an odd dude and a great writer and all this controversy is a little weird. Freedom was excerpted in the New Yorker and I didn't really like what I read there. It depressed me. There. I said it.